Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow If Its Groovy

Translate

November 11, 2010

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave- An Interview













Hey Everyone! Happy Veterans Day! I asked Lead Fiskateer Cheryl from Fiskars to have a chat with me. Although Cheryl represents Fiskars and the Fiskateers with their colors of orange and green, when I first online met her I knew she also had a passion for three other colors: Red White and Blue.; I know you will love her as much as I do when you read what she shares today in this interview :) Thanks to all of you for stopping by and now I bring you Cheryl...


Hi Cheryl, Thank You so much for agreeing to be my inspiration for the Land of the Free, Because of the Brave Blog Hop. Since I first met you there was one thing extremely apparent to me, one, that in your position as Lead Fiskateer that You are the "heart" of a wonderful community that stretches across our nation and many others. Secondly, You have a sense of American Pride that I find extremely endearing. I love this country and am so proud to be a citizen and I know you do too!

Hi Deb. First, I want to say thank you for the encouraging and loving words. I do love this country and the principles it was founded upon. I'm grateful I live here and can first hand (having lived overseas for six years) tell you that it is a wonderful and beautiful land!

Thank you!


Nation. To me that word means so much and I am absolutely honored when I see the Red, White and Blue American flags flying. Will you tell me what is is like for you?

I love seeing flags flying and patriotism displayed in a proud manner. The 'Grand Ol' Flag' has endured many a things and it's symbols of fifty states united, democracy and freedom stand tall. One thing that saddens me is when you see people in this land disgrace the flag. Our armed services have sacrificed for the symbol of 'Old Glory' and the freedoms the flag stands for! Long may she wave!






















Have you or your family members served in our military? What branches?

My grandfather and several great uncles served in the Army, I have a brother in law that served almost thirty years in the Navy, my dad served in the Vietnam War in the Navy as well and my husband served as a Marine in Operation Desert Storm and Shield. I have several dear friends who also serve in different branches in the services. I'm so grateful that all of my family returned from their duties overseas. I'll never forget welcoming my husband home from the Persian Gulf. A memory of yellow, red, white and blue, tears, love, and pride engraved in my mind. We even had a military wedding . . .



















How did having family serving affect you and how you feel about being an American?

I grew up appreciating the sacrifice that those who serve in the armed forces provide for us as Americans. I also grew up with a respect of those that serve and the principles they serve for . . . this country, freedom, and more. I'm assuming that may be why I married my husband (partially).

I grew up in an area where there were two large Marine Corps bases (El Toro and Tustin) and the town was buzzing with young men and women who serve our country. Jet fighters would fly over our home and it reminded me of feeling protected. They have since been closed but it was such a big part of our history here in Southern California.
Again, I'm grateful for being an American . . . first hand I've seen what an impoverished country is like and experienced lack of freedom. While America today has some issues . . . I am grateful for freedom and the people in our nation from the farmer or cowboy to the NY business man or Amish family member.

In our hobby of crafting we preserve so much of our personal history with day-to-day activities, have you spent time also scrapbooking travels in your role as a Military Supportive Wife and friend? If so, what type of emotion was evoked by scrapbooking at times such as those as personal as being in places far from your loved ones? Did your crafting hobby help to subside during those times or allow for you to meet others sharing in this hobby?

When my husband was away in the Persian Gulf I didn't scrapbook however I have preserved memories of this time and my father's service in the Vietnam war since. I want my daughter to share in the pride and joy (although frightening at times) experienced when a loved one serves his/her country. I work in public service/law enforcement and still have the opportunity to serve our country and community and that also gives me a since of joy. I have also scrapped many of these memories and even shared my skills in scrapbooking to help fund raise for the military, our troops overseas and the community.

On Veterans Day as we honor those who have served in our military is there someone special that you would want to talk with us about? Pictures?

I'd love to share one of my favorite pictures with you of my dad and his best friend on a beach which was bombed days later. To this day they are still the best of friends. It's amazing the bond of serving together (especially in war) creates. My father had two daughters and so did Terry . . . both families (united by war basically) are close and have enjoyed sharing one in another's lives. I think this is the only photo we have of them in Vietnam and one we cherish!
















Do you have special ceremonies, parades, celebrations that you participate in on Veterans Day?

Each year at my daughters school they hold a Veterans Day parade. They ask relatives that have served in the armed services to join their school age family members and walk in the parade. It gives teachers, parents, spouses and other family members the opportunity to recognize these men and women for their sacrifice and service! It's a fun parade!
We also enjoy our annual Fourth of July parade here in Lake Forest. We've been attending for at least twenty years and enjoy all the patriotic festivities surrounding this event. It's a favorite every year and another opportunity to recognize those that have served past and present for our country. Our family also loves all things American . . . hot dogs, baseball and Apple pie :)








Thank you for taking time with me today. Many wishes for a Happy Veterans Day and Thank You for all that you do to be a concerned, loving, caring and giving citizen who truly shines with love of her country and what she stands for, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

From sea to shining sea, as citizens I am hoping you'll thank that man or woman who serves or has served our country. God bless America!

One last thing from Cheryl and that is a quote she loves by our 16th president...


America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

62 comments:

  1. i'm a new follower to your blog. I just love your post for the day. I'm assuming that this your post for the Land of the Free Because of the Brave blog hop. Your pictures were great and your interview was fabulous!!! What this hop is really all about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for the great post! Thank you to all my heros out there and that includes all the reserves, border patrol, police, and corrections who along with our military keep us safe. Thanks for all the others I did not mention who fight for this country and for their brave family members who remind us what sacrifice is. My family is full of veterans of most wars that America was involved in prior to the Gulf War and I am proud of their service as most of them now rest in peace. I am also reminded of the sobering visit I took to the Arizona in 2006 and wept as I thought of all the young soldiers who died on the many ships in Pearl Harbor. Thank you again. I am proud to be an American and God help anyone who tries to bring us down even those from within our own borders and government. We may not be perfect, but we were founded on principals that stemmed from God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post. Thanks so much! Karelj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutley wonderful story and blog post....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Cheryl is such a nice person too....she welcomed me when I joined the Fiskateers!

    I love the photo of the baby too!

    tracyg398 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed! My Veteran, my DH, is currently retired from the Air Force, but he is and always will be my hero. He spent many months away from home serving our country. Thank you so much for recognizing these self-less individuals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, from one military wife to another...
    THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your story! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your project. It's on the sidebar guys.->
    What a neat take on the hop. Love it. What a great story and pictures. I really love the baby pictures and especially the quote by Former President Abraham Lincoln. TFS!

    Christel
    Blog Hop Sista
    www.onescrappinsista.blogspot.com
    christel(at)majesticdesigns(dot).net

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post!! thanks to all the service people that help/helped keep us free and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post!!!! I want to thank everyone that fight for our freedom in this country!!

    Terri
    tycole(at)frontiernet(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post, thank you so much for sharing.

    Melanie
    Scrappily Ever After Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. THank you for sharing this. Wonderful post!

    Liza
    lizahenderson814@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post. I was here earlier but I came back because alot of the blogs weren't up yet. My husband works late so I can't go to bed til I know he's home.

    Thanks for sharing such a great story with us. Your blog looks great. I love what you did.

    michelle

    mpetrovich23(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post with us.

    Tonya

    tleigenheer at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too thank you for sharing this... wonderful post!!
    lauraleed48atlivedotca

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful post. love the pictures.
    cheryl
    c.antley130@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the pics and such a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for participating in this very important blog hop. We all need to be reminded of how very thankful we should be to our veterans for our personal freedoms.

    The photos are amazing. I especially loved the photo of "dad and his best friend". How touching.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Cheryl's story! We are a Military family and my family as well as my Husbands is steeped in Military history and service, We like to say we bleed red white and blue! This is a great country because of the sacrifice that our Military men and women make each and everyday!
    Thanks
    Tammy
    otrbanks at earthlink dot net

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for having Cheryl on to share her story!! I loved the pic of her dad and his buddy on the beach! Thanks so much!!

    alaska.girl.24(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for acknowledging and honoring
    our veterans. They are a brave troupe.


    TR

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was a great interview, TFS

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see some wonderful patriotic American friends here. I feel the love and I see such support for our military here. It was a pleasure to share and I'm grateful Deb gave me the chance. God bless America and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post. I loved the interview.

    grannyanne16@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for supporting our troops

    milamemories@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. great post
    Joan fiskateer 808

    ReplyDelete
  29. Totally agree with the quote from Lincoln!! Thanks for the hop!
    miller896042atbellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.
    marionment@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great interview. God bless all of service men and women.
    Cherylann (prinkles)
    prinkles@woh.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for such a wonderful post. I loved reading it

    Burffrau @ aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. wonderful stories thank you for sharing . thanks the men too millierose651@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing Cheryl's interview. What great memories!!!

    tammy (at) iplanitmeetings (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful story. I loved the pictures.
    stuff at gt dot rr dot com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Truly enjoyed this interview!!! We live in a great country!!! Thank you to all our veterans and current servicemen!

    Looking forward to going tomorrow afternoon to watch my nephew sing at a Veterans Day performance at his elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That was such a nice treat! Thank you Cheryl, it makes us stop, and appreciate all we have in this country thanks to people like your hubby and your other relatives..I have them in my family too! We love all branches of the military!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Loved all the photos and your post was wonderful to read!
    lfuchs1 at wi. rr. com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love all your pictures and story. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great pictures thanks for sharing kathybalman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. love all the pictures.. thanks for sharing..
    juicycreations808@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. A great tribute, TFS.
    cureta2 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for sharing her story. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for sharing!

    esigmon at cox dot net

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow what great pictures thanks for sharing them.
    NYGIRL1994 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Nice interview and very nice pics. Thanks for sharing!!
    lilbitee1971athotmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  47. Deb,
    Great job coming up with your own format! I love the interview with Cheryl! We are so lucky to have her as a lead. Like you, she is Fisk-a-fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  48. great post!!! thanks for the hop everyone!!

    craftymomma
    stratus2134 at aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great post. Thank you for honoring our veterans and thank you for doing this and for the opportunity to win.

    pennyspad at sbcglobal dot net

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you so much for sharing your stories. They are so meaningful, and I am happy to be hopping with you

    ReplyDelete
  51. absolutely touching! TFS!!! wonderful! I'm so honored to be part of this blog hop!
    http://sweetsassydiva-gspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a beautiful little American!

    Thanks for sharing the stories!

    LOVED all of the Dress Blues! Always thought I'd marry a Marine (sharp uniforms!) but married a Squid (that's Navy) instead! My Marine brother, and Marine Mom, and Marine Uncle always give him a hard time! :)

    Thanks for hopping along with us!
    Gina
    GRKIDDO at Verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wonderful interview and awesome pictures. Thanks for sahring this with us.
    Colleen
    www.scrappycol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks for sharing! And such great pictures.

    spunkycrayon at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Very touching post! Means a lot!

    dmcarlisle09atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  56. I am loving this blog & all the stories. What a beautiful baby girl!!
    TFS!
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  57. What a wonderful story... Thank you!

    shalbgewachs(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  58. Deborah! thank you so much for the wonderful interview with Cheryl! I am a fairly new Fiskateer and am so happy to get to know her better.

    I have been hopping through tonight to see what everyone else posted! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thanks for doing this blog hop my husband is a VET.
    Rebecca Minor
    buzzybeedesignsATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  60. Wonderful post. Thanks so much.

    vwilson577 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. Thank you for the great meaningful hop and for sharing a lovely story!!
    nlpimentel@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. Great interview with Cheryl. Thanks for sharing it & being a part of the blog hop. My father was in the Air Force in WWII and he never spoke of it or what he saw overseas. God bless all of our veteran's & military personnel for their sacrifices to our countries.

    ReplyDelete

Don't Miss a Thing! Sign Up for Groovy Mail! Safely Subscribe!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Where You Be?

Sign the guestbook while you're here!!!